November 11, 2003
Panel Members in Attendance: Hal Miller, Ron Gibson, Dave Jensen, Harry Silverglide, John Madden, Rene Miville
Panel Members in Attendance via Phone: Gordon Hullar, Peter Koury
Panel Members Absent: Chris van der Baars
1. Roll call was taken at 9:05 AM.
2. The minutes of the June 9, 2003, meeting were accepted as presented. Motion by Gibson, second by Madden. Approved 8-0.
3. Jim Mudd and Ken Gooderham presented an update on the panel’s most recent text amendment submission. Panel members should have already received their copies on CD. An original is available with Gooderham in printed form and available electronically on CD. The amendments were presented to Lee County on Sept. 30, 2003. The deadline for such submission has now been moved to Feb. 27, 2004, and this change will affect hearing dates in the future. Mudd noted that a copy has gone to DOT for their review, and the county will create a link on their website for public to use.
4. Mudd and Gooderham moved on to discussion of potential Land Development Code issues and procedures to implement the existing Captiva Plan policies. Gooderham provided copies of The Captiva Plan to the panel and members of the audience, and briefly explained suggested ways to implement each existing amendment and the work that it will involve.
5. Miller’s question led to discussion of the Blind Pass Project. Silverglide stressed that this project is a critical issue for Captiva, as relates to quality of life, environmental issues, as well as beach renourishment. There does not seem to be any one individual or group taking the lead on this, although there are many groups who have expressed an interest in the final result. Panel members questioned whether yet another group speaking out would be effective, and just what is the common objective for the project. The county will apply for the permit to open Blind Pass, but many felt that the Sanibel government needs to be more involved and take a leadership role.
6. The meeting schedule for the upcoming year will be as follows, and all meetings will be held at the CCA building, 11550 Chapin Lane, Captiva, at
9: 00 AM:
7. Miller questioned panel members about their priorities for the year, and it was agreed that the panel’s first priority should be the Blind Pass Project, with emphasis on the water quality issue on Captiva, as outlined in Policy 21.5. Gooderham will also draft language to implement three of the existing amendments (21.1, 21.6 and 21.7), and present this to the panel for review, public comment, and approval.
8. The meeting was adjourned at 10:42 by Hal Miller. A meeting of the Blind Pass Project team was held immediately after the adjournment, with the media and members of the public invited to attend. At that meeting was chair Ron Gibson; CCP members Hal Miller, Dave Jensen, Harry Silverglide, John Madden and Rene Miville; Ken Gooderham; Mike Mullins; and an audience member. Possible participants in the public forum were discussed, and Gibson andMullins set a meeting with Alison Hagerup of the Captiva Erosion Prevention District for Wednesday, November 12 to discuss and begin coordination. The team members dispersed at approximately 11:45 a.m.
9. The next CCP meeting is scheduled for December 9, 2003, at 9:00 AM at the CCA Building, 11550 Chapin Lane, Captiva Island, Florida. (This meeting was eventually cancelled in lieu of the Dec. 12 Blind Pass public workshop.)