CAPTIVA COMMUNITY PANEL

MINUTES
June 9, 2003


Panel Members in Attendance: Hal Miller, Chris van der Baars, Ron Gibson, Rene Miville, Dave Jensen, Harry Silverglide

Panel Members in Attendance by Phone: Peter Koury and Gordon Hullar

Audience: 4

1. Roll call was taken at 9:25. Harry Silverglide joined the panel as replacement for Elaine Smith, who resigned.

2. The minutes of the May 13, 2003, meeting were accepted as presented. Motion by van der Baars, second by Gibson. Approved 8-0

3. Ken Gooderham passed out copies of the policies already approved by the panel, which were printed in the Captiva Current. These policies will be submitted in September. Gooderham will fine-tune the language over the summer months. He will also make an effort to familiarize Tim Jones, Assistant County Attorney, who works with land use issues, with the policies before they are presented.

4. Regarding the discussion of potential LDC issues and procedures to implement the existing Captiva Plan policies, Gooderham has already discussed these with Jim Mudd. Gooderham walked the panel through potential methods to implement the existing planning policies, to prepare panel members for the next phase of work to commence in the fall.

5. Mike Mullins had to leave the meeting, but notified the group that no progress had been made on the water quality study group.

6. Harry Silverglide questioned if the CCP is notified when a zoning variance is applied for on Captiva. Gooderham will request notification of any requests to the panel in the future. It was stressed that the panel must be notified very early in the approval process in order to get involved. A question arose as to what level of permit would the panel want to be involved in? Should we set a dollar amount, i.e., any work requiring in excess of $75,000, $100,000? This fall the panel will invite speakers from Lee County to talk to us about types of permits, what kind of input we can expect, etc.

Questions then arose over the general mission of the CCP. Is the panel to function as an architectural review board? What authority does the panel have? Should the focus of the panel be on structures, versus landscaping and vegetation?

Ron Gibson stated that the panel should get the word out to the community about the work being done, and encourage friends and neighbors to get involved by attending meetings or letting their feelings be known to panel members.

A subject for discussion in the fall will be whether there should be “members at large” on the panel, or should the CCP be elected by property owners. Silverglide questioned again the long-term direction for the panel. Miville and Koury will work together investigating this issue and will report back to the panel in the fall when public meetings begin again.

Gooderham reminded the members that financial disclosure forms are due in July, and passed out blank forms to those who had not yet filed theirs.

8. The meeting was adjourned at 10:35 a.m. by Hal Miller.

9. The next CCP meeting is scheduled for October 14, 2003, at 9 a.m. at the CCA building, 11550 Chapin Lane, Captiva

Back to the Community Panel page
Back to the Index of Meeting MinutesTop of Page